Become a Service Learning Fellow
2017-18 Service-Learning Excellence Fellows
Academic service-learning at Texas State University is the application of academic skills and knowledge to address a community need, issue, or problem that enhances student learning. Service-learning supports the university’s goals to “provide a premier student-centered, educational experience that fosters retention and success” and to "provide opportunities for a public university education and contribute to economic and cultural development.” Service-learning meets accreditation goals of: Engagement, Impact, and Innovation.
Credit is given for the learning that takes place, not simply for completing service hours. Service-learning is different from community service, internships, or field study experiences because the service activity is connected to the course learning objectives through reflection and critical analysis, and seeks to balance the benefits to the student with benefits to the community partners. “Reflection” can be through before/after surveys, focus groups, reflective journals, semi-structured discussion group, presentation, or written report.
Service-learning courses are found across the disciplines collaborating in the non-profit, for-profit, and public sectors.
The Service-Learning Excellence Program, formerly known as the Service-Learning Initiative, wants to recognize faculty that are incorporating service-learning in their courses as Service-Learning (SL) Fellows. The benefits of being a Service-Learning Fellow include:
- We provide Service-Learning certificates of completion for your students
- We recognize and publicize your SL course on our website and press-releases
- SL Fellows receive a Medallion to wear with regalia at graduation ceremonies
- SL Fellows are included in the annual report to the Provost regarding academic SL accomplishments
- Service-Learning Fellow recognition can be added to vita, syllabus, and university digital measures
- SL Fellows can apply for SL Mini-Grants
To have your course recognized as Service-Learning, complete our SL New Faculty Form online or return to Service-Learning Excellence Program offices (Commons 206). Feel free to contact us at ServiceLearning@txstate.edu with any questions.